[meteorite-list] Re: New Asteroid Threat Seen (Asteroid 2003 QQ47)

From: Bob Martino <martino.6_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:50 2004

Pekka,

Perhaps I wasn't really clear.

What you are asking for is "crystal-clear information." This DOES NOT EXIST
IN SCIENCE!!

EVERY measurement has error associated with it. Every one. You cannot tell
me that the size of your computer screen is "exactly 17 inches" (or
whatever) and have me believe you. As a scientist I know that there is no
such thing as a perfectly precise measurement.

What science does is measure the best it can, get preliminary results, and
then try to measure better. With better measurements the results are better
but there is STILL SOME ERROR. So you measure again with more precise
measurements or you use additional data and you get even better results. And
these results STILL SHOW ERROR. So you do it again and have even better
results, but there will STILL be some error. Error can be reduced. It can
NEVER be eliminated. Thus your desire for "correct data" is impossible. At
least in this universe.

In the asteroid case being discussed, the astronomer didn't release his
data. The press took it from a web site. The web site was NEVER intended to
be used by the press. It was for scientists to share data with each other.
By sharing data we reduce error. If these ways of sharing information didn't
exist, science would be at a huge disadvantage. Again, the astronomer did
EVERYTHING correctly. It was the PRESS that cried wolf.

So then I ask this: Why shouldn't the PRESS wait a day or two to get a
better, more accurate story? :)

Let me say that again: There is no such thing as perfectly correct,
crystal-clear data. In science, there is no such thing as a correct answer.
It's all subject to revision.

-----
Bob Martino, Tucson, AZ

Can you really name a star? Read the Truth!
http://home.columbus.rr.com/starfaq/
.

> Hello, Bob and the list,
>
> thereīs no problem, astronomers say, the asteroid MAY hit the earth, the
> question is about the timing to say that an how to say that.
>
> Why canīt the british astronomers wait a day or two to get the correct
> data. This was the second time from the british sience-community to be
> in hurry.
>
> Simple question, what means to wait a day or two in silence and then give
> a correct and crystal-clear information. Why to give the preliminary data
> to the media, if all knows, what the result will be?
[snip]