[meteorite-list] Re: New Asteroid Threat Seen (Asteroid 2003 QQ47)

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:50 2004

--------------070209040009010209040209

Hello, Bob and the list,

thereīs no problem, astronomers say, the asteroid MAY hit the earth, the
question is about the timing to say that an how to say that.

Why canīt the british astronomers wait a day or two to get the correct
data. This was the second time from the british sience-community to be
in hurry.

Simple question, what means to wait a day or two in silence and then give
a correct and crystal-clear information. Why to give the preliminary data
to the media, if all knows, what the result will be?

In Finland the media at least has been trustworthy, and when my 8-years old
or my 88-years old granpa watch the news, they belive, what they have
been told. This is the difference between the british and the finnish media.
Sure we today have some commercial TV-channels and 2 evening papers,
which are ready to publish anything with no criticisim.

When we are going to media-culture like that, the "media" seems not to be
in response, what they are telling. I know, what the Torino-scale is,
but 99%
of public donīt, neither do the media. Thatīs why the authorities in
science,
in politics and so on have to watch, what they are saying. I have lost
my hope
with politicians, but think the scientific community should be a bit
wiser...

I still have my own opinions about several british astronomers and about the
british media, sorry for that. Anyway, canīt help that, this was the
second time,
when the unchecked data was given out just by british astronomers. I can
belive, one time can be an accident, but the second time is something
else. If the
media and the general public is unable to read english, the text to give
out may be
wise to format so, that also my 88-years granpa can underrstand it without
knowledge about the Torino-scale and another scientific liturgy.

I have no reason to criticize the skills of the british astronomers,
just the way, these
things are published. Iīm the member of the finnish astronomical
association and the
bolide-team, and I have had to correct some statements given by
geophysicans etc...
about the meteorites. Last time was in last winter, when a local
geophysican found a
hole on the ice, and wisely thoght, it was made by a meteorite. The
astronomical
association got the correction published in next 12 hours, but the
"news" was allready
in the international media, which was very annoying and made a lot of
hard work just
needless. Just when you get some serious articles out, cames some
wise-guy and do
this. This is the problem. When these things have been done often
enough, nobody
belives the serious scientists, when they have something real to tell.

I can aggree with you, usually the articles published are full of
errors. In this case
the local geophysican made clear, the meteorite sized about 50 grams can
make large
damage, the meteorite can make a hole on the upper layer of the ice, but
leave the lower
layer intact and then just disappear and so on...this hole was made by
the flooding water,
and that was clear to me, when I saw the first pictures from the area.

So, usually the mass-media donīt have enough knowledge to write this
kind of articles
in the correct way, I aggree also this. What I donīt aggree, is to give
out data, which is
questonable and makes these speculations possible. If the scientific
community canīt
make these things clear to the media, this show goes on and on.

The problem is not the astronomers, the problem is not the media. The
problem is between
them. A good astronomer is not every time the best person in
communication. The way
to handle this is to have a professional, who knows the way, the media
works. To write
an article to a scientific publication is absolutely different thing
than give the information
to the evening press about the possible smasher.

These are just my opinions, and I donīt want to hurt anybody, but as I
have been said, this
is now the second time, the british astronomers give information, the
british media starts
the circus and NASA makes the corrections...

best regards,

pekka s

--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND
+ 358 400 818 912
Group Home Page: http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eurocoin
Group Email Address: eurocoin_at_smartgroups.com
--------------070209040009010209040209
<head>
</head>
Hello, Bob and the list,<br>
there&acute;s no problem, astronomers say, the asteroid MAY hit the earth, the
question is about the timing to say that an how to say that.<br>
Why can&acute;t the british astronomers wait a day or two to get the correct <br>
data. This was the second time from the british sience-community to be <br>
in hurry. <br>
Simple question, what means to wait a day or two in silence and then give<br>
a correct and crystal-clear information. Why to give &nbsp;the preliminary data
to the media, if all knows, what the result will be?<br>
In Finland the media at least has been trustworthy, and when my 8-years old<br>
or my 88-years old granpa watch the news, they belive, what they have <br>
been told. This is the difference between the british and the finnish media.<br>
Sure we today have some commercial TV-channels and 2 evening papers, <br>
which are ready to publish anything with no criticisim. <br>
When we are going to media-culture like that, the "media" seems not to be<br>
in response, what they are telling. I know, what the Torino-scale is, but
99%<br>
of public don&acute;t, neither do the media. That&acute;s why the authorities in science,
in politics and so on have to watch, what they are saying. I have lost my
hope<br>
with politicians, but think the scientific community should be a bit wiser...<br>
I still have my own opinions about several british astronomers and about
the<br>
british media, sorry for that. Anyway, can&acute;t help that, this was the second
time,<br>
when the unchecked data was given out just by british astronomers. I can
belive, one time can be an accident, but the second time is something else.
If the<br>
media and the general public is unable to read english, the text to give
out may be<br>
wise to format so, that also my 88-years granpa can underrstand it without
knowledge about the Torino-scale and another scientific liturgy.<br>
I have no reason to criticize the skills of the british astronomers, just
the way, these<br>
things are published. I&acute;m the member of the finnish astronomical association
and the<br>
bolide-team, and I have had to correct some statements given by geophysicans
etc...<br>
about the meteorites.&nbsp; Last time was in last winter, when a local geophysican
found a<br>
hole on the ice, and wisely thoght, it was made by a meteorite. The astronomical
association got the correction published in next 12 hours, but the "news"
was allready<br>
in the international media, which was very annoying and made a lot of hard
work just<br>
needless. Just when you get some serious articles out, cames some wise-guy
and do<br>
this. This is the problem. When these things have been done often enough,
nobody <br>
belives the serious scientists, when they have something real to tell. &nbsp;<br>
I can aggree with you, usually the articles published are full of errors.
In this case<br>
the local geophysican made clear, the meteorite sized about 50 grams can
make large<br>
damage, the meteorite can make a hole on the upper layer of the ice, but
leave the lower<br>
layer intact and then just disappear and so on...this hole was made by the
flooding water,<br>
and that was clear to me, when I saw the first pictures from the area. <br>
So, &nbsp;usually the mass-media don&acute;t have enough knowledge to write this kind
of articles<br>
in the correct way, I aggree also this. What I don&acute;t aggree, is to give out
data, which is<br>
questonable and makes these speculations possible. If the scientific community
can&acute;t <br>
make these things clear to the media, this show goes on and on.<br>
The problem is not the astronomers, the problem is not the media. The problem
is between<br>
them. A good astronomer is not every time the best person in communication.
The way<br>
to handle this is to have a professional, who knows the way, the media works.
To write<br>
an article to a scientific publication is absolutely different thing than
give the information <br>
to the evening press about the possible smasher.<br>
These are just my opinions, and I don&acute;t want to hurt anybody, but as I have
been said, this<br>
is now the second time, the british astronomers give information, the british
media starts <br>
the circus and NASA makes the corrections...<br>
best regards,<br>
pekka s<br>
Bob Martino wrote:<br>
    <pre wrap=""><!---->QQ47)<br></pre>
      <pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND