[meteorite-list] List Apology

From: Jamie Stephens <j.stephens_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:37 2004

Mike Groetz wrote:

> I apologize to Jamie and the list for being upset
> last night.

No problem at all. Gave me a chance to joke around a
little.

> My point I am trying to make is that our lives and
> efforts are being tracked and compiled enough. Unless
> requested- could we leave meteorite collecting and
> selling alone and just enjoy it?

I think I agree. As I mentioned before, I'll definitely
drop names/ID's from any future work. I asked; many
spoke; and some really didn't want ID's. The interesting
stuff doesn't have anything to do with individuals anyway.

> I'm probably from the old school. I've been in
> engineering for 30 years now and our efforts have
> become Ghant charts, Pareto charts,statistical
> analysis, action registers, flow charts, decision
> charts, goal charts, W/W/W charts.....it never ends.
> And every new manager they hire fresh out of college
> has "new and improved" data tracking methods that are
> to impress upper management and in reality overwhelm
> people with data and keep us from getting the real
> work completed.

I know what you mean. I've actually seen extensive,
colorful, detailed, expensive analysis with the following
disclaimer: "Not for decision-making purposes". I fell
out of my chair when I saw that.

> So my vote is to leave this area alone. Lets come
> home to something we enjoy rather something being
> tracked and analyzed.

Roger.

I won't tie up the list with (much) more on this topic.

--Jamie