[meteorite-list] OT: Aurora #2

From: STUARTATK_at_aol.com <STUARTATK_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:37 2004

--part1_1dc.136f96eb.2cd306db_boundary

Hi all,

Thawing-out here after standing in a field for the past *5* hours, watching a
beautiful aurora... made up for the frustration and disappointment of last
night!

At 7.30pm the entire northern half of the sky was a strange, milky blue/green
colour, very odd-looking... after an hour or so the first beams started to
appear, jabbing out of the background glow... then overhead patches of light
started to appear and disappear, each lasting a moment before vanishing... then
larger, steadier curtains, with a hint of red in the NE... redder and higher,
redder and higher... until by 9.30 half the sky was the colour of Turkish
Delight, absolutely beautiful, and all the beams and rays converged to form the
classic "corona", and the colour just deepened and deepened until it was the
colour of strawberries, I'm not kidding, the sky was ablaze! Then the corona moved
overhead, continued to mouth southwards... and soon was gobne, leaving behind
a perfectly clear, aurora-free, starry sky. Bizarre!

The aurora came back half an hour later, by which time I'd relocated, and,
with a young family who'd noticed the aurora while walking back from a
Hallowe'en party, I watched the curtains ripple, the corona shimmer and the rays
beaming into the sky like WWII searchlights... too many features to list and
describe here, and the colours were spectacular, I hope my photos do them justice!
They never do tho, do they?

Right, need a coffee... or ten... have to be up for work in 4 hrs... Good
luck all US-based List members, hope you catch some of this amazing show too!

Stu

--part1_1dc.136f96eb.2cd306db_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Hi all,<BR>
<BR>
Thawing-out here after standing in a field for the past *5* hours, watching=20=
a beautiful aurora... made up for the frustration and disappointment of last=
 night!<BR>
<BR>
At 7.30pm the entire northern half of the sky was a strange, milky blue/gree=
n colour, very odd-looking... after an hour or so the first beams started to=
 appear, jabbing out of the background glow... then overhead patches of ligh=
t started to appear and disappear, each lasting a moment before vanishing...=
 then larger, steadier curtains, with a hint of red in the NE... redder and=20=
higher, redder and higher... until by 9.30 half the sky was the colour of Tu=
rkish Delight, absolutely beautiful, and all the beams and rays converged to=
 form the classic "corona", and the colour just deepened and deepened until=20=
it was the colour of strawberries, I'm not kidding, the sky was ablaze! Then=
 the corona moved overhead, continued to mouth southwards... and soon was go=
bne, leaving behind a perfectly clear, aurora-free, starry sky. Bizarre!<BR>
<BR>
The aurora came back half an hour later, by which time I'd relocated, and, w=
ith a young family who'd noticed the aurora while walking back from a Hallow=
e'en party, I watched the curtains ripple, the corona shimmer and the rays b=
eaming into the sky like WWII searchlights... too many features to list and=20=
describe here, and the colours were spectacular, I hope my photos do them ju=
stice! They never do tho, do they?<BR>
<BR>
Right, need a coffee... or ten... have to be up for work in 4 hrs... Good lu=
ck all US-based List members, hope you catch some of this amazing show too!=20=
<BR>
<BR>
Stu</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1dc.136f96eb.2cd306db_boundary--