[meteorite-list] Dreaming meteorites

From: Stan Seeberg <stan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:34 2004

Vishnu and all,
     I'm new to the list and am delighted with all the help and advice so
many of you have given to those who range from newbies on up! I'd like to
pick a few brains on something I'm curious about. I occasionally go to gem
and mineral shows and among the various mineral specimens offered, look for
meteorites, especially any that might be a real bargain (relatively few and
far between!). I'm especially fascinated by the irons, but unfortunately,
with the exception of some Sikhote-Alins, a lot of what I've run across in
small to large sizes are merely "blobs" with little or no character, and
many are cleaned or wire-brushed (which I don't personally care for). I'm
curious about what typical asking prices should be in a wide range of sizes
for specimens left natural-as-found (a small slice taken off might not
matter), attractive, nicely shaped and well preserved for Sikhote-Alin,
Canyon Diablo, Gibeon, Odessa and Campo Del Cielo in about the following
weights:
                l ounce
               1 pound
              20 pounds
              50 pounds
            100 pounds
             l50 pounds
              Larger?
     I know there could be considerable differences in prices according to
particular situations but wonder about more or less average asking prices.
Looking on the Internet has given some clues but I'd appreciate any input
anyone may have. I've been fascinated with meteorites since I was a kid and
have a small collection of various specimens, most of which I got back in
the days when prices were fairly low and am just curious as to what some of
the irons run nowadays in case the Lottery decides to make a visit!
Thanks a bunch,
      Stan