[meteorite-list] Glorieta Mountain??

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:30 2004

--0-991187244-1066265030=:3518

No. Taza does not have olivine, at least none that I know of.

But there is a big difference in Glorieta masses. Pallasitic ones have surface features that are very different from the solid irons. They tend to be hackly like the sample that Matteo has, and the irons are typical of the one offered in this auction. But to distinguish between Taza and Glorieta irons, all one needs to do is etch.

The difference in structure is very obvious.

Steve Schoner/ams

harlan trammell <skyrox_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

does taza have olivene?

>From: "Ron Hartman"
>To: , "Steve Schoner" ,,"M come Meteorite Meteorites"
>CC:
>Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Glorieta Mountain??
>Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:43:07 -0700
>
>I have a number of both Taza and Glorieta Mountain individuals and cut &
>etched individuals on my website. Some only a few gm., but up to a few
>hundred g. Yes, they are so similar...even to flow lines and remnants of
>fusion crust. I cut a number of the respective lots I purchased and etched
>a few of them to be sure, and they are what they were claimed to be. Many
>of the Glorieta Mtn. show various amounts of olivine through the crusts.
>But the etch is very characteristic, even on little ones of a few g. and
>those Glorietas not showing any olivine. There have been a lot of Glorietas
>available on the market all of a sudden but the ones I have seen have turned
>out to be OK. Best to cut and etch if in doubt! (And of course insist on
>a guarantee of authenticity from unknown sources.)
>
>Ron Hartman
>www.meteorite1.com

<DIV>No. Taza does not have olivine, at least none that I know of.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>But there is a big difference in Glorieta masses.&nbsp; Pallasitic ones have surface features that are very different from the solid irons.&nbsp; They tend to be hackly like the sample that Matteo has, and the irons are typical of the one offered in this auction.&nbsp; But to distinguish between Taza and Glorieta irons, all one needs to do is etch.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The difference in structure is very obvious.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Steve Schoner/ams</DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR><B><I>harlan trammell &lt;skyrox_at_hotmail.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<DIV>
<DIV>
<P>does taza have olivene?<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Ron Hartman" <RNHARTMA_at_MTSAC.EDU>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: <STARBITS_at_AOL.COM>, "Steve Schoner" <STEVE_SCHONER@YAHOO.COM>,<JOSEPH_TOWN@ATT.NET>,"M come Meteorite Meteorites" <MCOMEMETEORITE2000@YAHOO.IT>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;CC: <METEORITE-LIST_at_METEORITECENTRAL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Glorieta Mountain??
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:43:07 -0700
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I have a number of both Taza and Glorieta Mountain individuals and cut &amp;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;etched individuals on my website. Some only a few gm., but up to a few
<DIV></DIV>&gt;hundred g. Yes, they are so similar...even to flow lines and remnants of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;fusion crust. I cut a number of the respective lots I purchased and etched
<DIV></DIV>&gt;a few of them to be sure, and they are what they were claimed to be. Many
<DIV></DIV>&gt;of the Glorieta Mtn. show various amounts of olivine through the crusts.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;But the etch is very characteristic, even on little ones of a few g. and
<DIV></DIV>&gt;those Glorietas not showing any olivine. There have been a lot of Glorietas
<DIV></DIV>&gt;available on the market all of a sudden but the ones I have seen have turned
<DIV></DIV>&gt;out to be OK. Best to cut and etch if in doubt! (And of course insist on
<DIV></DIV>&gt;a guarantee of authenticity from unknown sources.)
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Ron Hartman
<DIV></DIV>&gt;www.meteorite1.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: <STARBITS_at_AOL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: "Steve Schoner" <STEVE_SCHONER_at_YAHOO.COM>; <JOSEPH_TOWN@ATT.NET>; "M
<DIV></DIV>&gt;come Meteorite Meteorites" <MCOMEMETEORITE2000_at_YAHOO.IT>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Cc: <METEORITE-LIST_at_METEORITECENTRAL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 10:35 AM
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [meteorite-list] Glorieta Mountain??
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;<AH... but these do look like Taza. I have found many < DIV>&gt;over the years, and if you set one side by side with Taza
<DIV></DIV>&gt;you would not be able to tell the difference. They
<DIV></DIV>&gt;look exactly alike. &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Except in this case they are not taza they are glorieta. Last week I was
<DIV></DIV>&gt;offered those 2 pieces on eBay along with a 68 gram piece which I purchased
<DIV></DIV>&gt;and it is definately not Taza. See the photos at this URL.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Most of the taza I have see have a caliche dirt surface on them which I
<DIV></DIV>&gt;haven't seen on glorieta, but then I haven't seen as many glorieta pieces as
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Steve.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Normally I don't respond to things like this, but in this case I know the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;material is described correctly and letting it go could affect the sellers
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ability to make a sale.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Eric Olson
<DIV></DIV>&gt;http://www.star-bits.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;______________________________________________
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Meteorite-list mailing list
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Meteorite-list mailing list
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list
<DIV></DIV></DIV><BR clear=all>
<HR>
<A href="http://g.msn.com/8HMAENUS/2734??PS=">Page a contact’s mobile phone with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now FREE!</A> </BLOCKQUOTE><p><hr SIZE=1>