[meteorite-list] Makeshift membrane box

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:28 2004

Mike,

The company '3M' (Scotch) make a water clear plastic film that shrinks
when heated, it is used to draught proof windows (the glass type!) the
idea being you tape the sheet over a pane of glass and heat it with a
hair dryer and it shrinks tight like glass

I tried some once, and it works very well, don't ask me where you get
it, I got mine ages ago, but maybe a hardware store would be the place
to start.

Actually food wrap does shrink slightly when warmed so maybe that's
another way of getting a good snug fit, then you would be able to see
the specimen under magnification without the wrinkles of the plastic
film getting in the way.

Cheers,

Mark Ford