Fw: [meteorite-list] Orissa India--- Of Floods,meteorites and Man-and Turtles too

From: Jose Campos <josecamposcomet_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:25 2004

Hi David - and List:
I am pleased to know that you have enjoyed the info on my email.
I had to laught about that "meteorite named after me" bit! I take your kind
remark as a compliment to my surname!
As you (and List) know, meteorites a not named after people but after a
geographical location (other than the NWA...+Nº) related to their site of
fall/discovery.
Perhaps the closest that we can get to, named after PEOPLE, is to some Group
Classes:
Diogenites, named after the 5th Century BC Greek Philosopher Diogenes of
Apollonia
Pallasites, named after the German naturalist/astronomer Peter Pallas (of
the 18th Century)
Howardites, named after a British chemist, Edward Howard (also of the 18th
Century)

There might be other instances that I might not be aware of?

However, I can proudly say that I have my surname given to a space "rock"
that is so large that it won't fit in my meteorite show case, or in anyone's
show case, or even in a very large room! Please, check the I.A.U. Circular
Nº 3259 (1978 Sept 05) - there are other Circ. related to this object.
I share it with a Japanese amateur astronomer, Toshio Haneda (unfortunately
he died some 12 years ago).
As per the I.A.U. Nomenclature, it was first known as P/Haneda-Campos 1978j
and later it became 1978XX and now it is officialy known as D/1978 R1
Haneda-Campos. We both discovered it independently and it has a P~ 6.5
years.
I am a Portuguese, born in Mozambique (previously known as Port. East
Africa), where I grew up and lived there for many years; then I left for
Durban, South Africa, where I made that comet discovery on Sept 1st 1978. I
lived in Durban during 20 years, my wife Charmaine and our 3 kids (grown up
now), were born there. It's a great country.
The "D" stands for "Disappeared" (lost) - but that's is thanks to some of
the comet trackers of that time, who did let it slip away!! In theory, it
should make another return this coming January/2004 around the Sun; it's
actual, published calculated ephemerids differ quite a bit, between American
and Japanese comet experts!
 I wonder what might be it's true size? Some 6 x 4 kms? It won't fit in my
room! LOL!
Regards to you all.

José Campos