[meteorite-list] eBay policemen?

From: Howard Wu <freewu2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:25 2004

--0-1534031773-1065809629=:79378

I joined this list in part so I wouldn't be so stupid about faux meteorites or over priced scams.

Howard Wu

Dave Harris <entropydave_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:
Hi,
I have to throw in my 2g's worth here - seems that some people on the list
spend too much of their time trawling eBay looking for auctions to criticise
and debunk and publish their 'findings' to the list.
Fine in principle, but we are not here to police eBay - I think that "Caveat
Emptor" should prevail here. If anyone is naive or stupid enough to spend
thousands of bucks on a so-called 'meteorite' and from a supplier who doesn
t sport the IMCA label then so be it.

Like a lot of people, I find the exceptional ripoffs very funny and I am
quite happy to have my attention drawn to it, but on the whole these
auctions for faux meteorites are all a bit sad, desperate and not really
funny.

Seems to me that every Metlist digest I get now has a "look at this eBay
auction..." gleefully pointing out some stupid ad - Can I suggest that
perhaps one could spend one's time better employed?

frustratingly frustrated!

dave

IMCA #0092