[meteorite-list] New Orleans strike...

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:23 2004

Hi Dave and List,

> "I got the first batch of data, high Mg-olivine, 32-44 % MgO, 11-16 %
> FeO, plus 0.5 % MnO! Rather surprising, a bit high for a meteorite. The
> pyroxenes are diopsidic to hgh Mg-pigeonitic. And the plagioclases are
> surprisingly Na-rich for a meteorite, over 8% Na2O. A weird meteorite"

Truly a weird meteorite! While some of the preliminary data support Michael
Farmer's first guess - that it is an H chondrite - probably an H5 chondrite* -
other data might speak in favor of an L or LL type. Hey, maybe this is an
exotic H/L(LL) type like Bremerv=F6rde, Haxtun, Tieschitz or Matt Morgan's
new H/L3-4 !!!

* See Mike's website: "The meteorite appears to be a very fragile chondrite,
I saw many small chondrules, and some metal. My guess is (H5)."

Best wishes,

Bernd

To: entropydave_at_ntlworld.com
    meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com