[meteorite-list] New Orleans fall PHOTOS

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:21 2004

--part1_47.33c945dd.2cb0ea35_boundary

  joseph_town_at_att.net writes:

> I may think you are the most sour grape in Italy. I would have commented in
>
> your pigeon english but I can't figure it out. I don't speak a word of
> Italian but it seems you intentionaly used mumbo jumbo talk for some vested
> reason.

 << Tell me that I'm wrong >>

I think you're wrong. My guess is that Matteo uses babelfish or
transalation.com or some similar translation site. One enters a message in one's "first
language", has it translated, and then cuts, pastes, and sends it along. These
sites of necessity pretty much translate very literally, and one word at a
time, thus the larger context almost always comes out convoluted.

I can't remember ever being in the position of defending Matteo before ;-)
but until we English-speakers can do better in Italian than he can in English,
with or without a translation website, I think it takes a pretty fair amount
of nerve to launch linguistic rocks so near a glass house.

       Gregory

--part1_47.33c945dd.2cb0ea35_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">&nbsp; joseph_town_at_att.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I may think you are the most so=
ur grape in Italy. I would have commented in <BR>
your pigeon english but I can't figure it out. I don't speak a word of <BR>
Italian but it seems you intentionaly used mumbo jumbo talk for some vested=20=
<BR>
reason. </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
 &lt;&lt; Tell me that I'm wrong &gt;&gt;<BR>
<BR>
I think you're wrong.&nbsp; My guess is that Matteo uses <I>babelfish</I> or=
<I> transalation.com </I>or some similar translation site.&nbsp; One enters=20=
a message in one's "first language", has it translated, and then cuts, paste=
s, and sends it along.&nbsp; These sites of necessity pretty much translate=20=
very literally, and one word at a time, thus the larger context almost alway=
s comes out convoluted.<BR>
<BR>
I can't remember ever being in the position of defending Matteo before ;-)&n=
bsp; but until we English-speakers can do better in Italian than he can in E=
nglish, with or without a translation website, I think it takes a pretty fai=
r amount of nerve to launch linguistic rocks so near a glass house.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Gregory<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_47.33c945dd.2cb0ea35_boundary--