[meteorite-list] Fossil Meteorites

From: E.J <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:20 2004

If memory serves, the petography of the Swedish fossil meteorites
(Thorsberg/Kinnekulle) (480mya) was altered/ replaced (chemically).
Most of their original chemistry is gone, being true fossils, their
physical form was retained. Someone noted here that while the
meteorites had been largely replaced by calcite and barite, traces of
chromite and iridium were found within. Bernd has posted the studies on
this once before (1999?). I wonder if chondrities were found else small
blebs of serpentine.

Lake Murray, Oklahoma, US-- at 150 million years, is the meteorite with
oldest known terrestrial age. It was found in situ in limestone where it
landed. A large portion of it is meteoric shale however the core is
still bears a remarkable amount of metal and preserved Widmanstatten
features. The T-age is consistent with the age of the strata, I believe.

Someone mentioned Hoba, it is resting in limestone bedrock within the
pit it excavated upon landing.

In my days on Ebay before I was this poor even, there was an auction for
an apparent fossil meteorite impact channel and all-- in cross section
(offered but failed to meet reserve). The 2-3 inch wide nugget was at
the bottom of an apparent 10-8 inch long impact channel made while the
very fine ooze was still mucky. The cavity had several "heart-valve"
appearing "trap doors". They looked like partial refilling of the ooze
after the meteorite had passed. The owner never relisted it and the
where abouts are unknown. The 3-D exposure was far more dynamic than
the any simulation ever has been.

In one of my many idle projects, I have two specimens recovered from
the Eastern PA anthracite field which have some halmarks of a
meteorite. They are stored away awaiting some researcher taking them
on. (hint, hint)

Regards,
Elton