[meteorite-list] Millions Of Pennies From Heaven

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:20 2004

Maybe all of the hoopla will motivate him to put on a
wet suit and a mask and dig up the rest that is, as
you say sitting in sewage water.

Steve Schoner

(Such pieces could be sold at latrine low prices,
compared to the others that are not so "crappy")

--- Michael Farmer <meteoritehunter_at_comcast.net>

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/index.ssf?/base/news-0/106510888851640.xml

> [...]
> > Internet, said Matt Morgan, a full-time geologist
> with the Colorado
> Geological
> > Survey and a part-time trader.
> >
> > On his Mile High Meteorites Web site, Morgan is
> offering tiny pieces of
> his varied
> > collection for thousands of dollars.
> >
> > For instance, a 2.294-gram fragment of a meteorite
> found in Buenos Aires,
> > Argentina, in 1979 sells for $11,470.
> >
> > "I always wanted a piece of a meteorite, even when
> I was a child," Morgan
> said.
> >
> > Robert Wesel of Hillsboro, Ore., got hooked after
> buying a meteorite
> fragment at the
> > Oregon Museum of Science and Industry.
> >
> > "At the time, I had no idea that people could own
> such a thing," said
> Wesel, a
> > registered nurse.
> >
> > Then he went to a gem show and discovered a kiosk
> selling meteorites.
> >
> > "I think I spent about $4,000 with that guy on the
> spot, and that's what
> really
> > launched it," he said. "I walked away with a price
> list . . . and later
> bought more
> > pieces. Then I got a computer, and in 1998 I found
> eBay."
> >
> > Word of meteorite finds travels quickly among
> dealers, he said.
> >
> > "You need to keep an ear to the ground, and if you
> hear something, you try
> to ally
> > yourself with someone in the area or go there
> yourself," he said.
> >
> > In March, he heard about a meteorite strike in a
> Chicago suburb and,
> learning that
> > pieces of the meteorite were strewn through a
> large neighborhood, drove
> there to
> > scavenge.
> >
> > "Everybody who collects does it for a different
> reason," he said. "Some
> collect on a
> > map, one sample from every country. Others are
> trying to get an A-to-Z
> collection of
> > different types of meteorites."
> >
> > Often, pieces of meteorites end up in museum
> collections, despite their
> inability to
> > match the prices paid by private collectors, said
> Denton Ebel, a curator
> with the new
> > Arthur Ross Hall of Meteorites at the American
> Museum of Natural History
> in New
> > York City.
> >
> > The museum has more than 120 meteorites on
> display, and more than 1,250 in
> its
> > collection.
> >
> > Samples in the collection are carefully analyzed
> to ensure they are
> meteorites and to
> > attempt to determine their origin.
> >
> > A 30-micron-thick slice, as thin as a human hair,

=== message truncated ===