[meteorite-list] Meteorite Hits House In Louisiana

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:18 2004

Randy and others,

Is it a competition to get to a fall first?...you bet it is!!!...while these
guys are enthusiastic about meteorites...they are also full-time businessmen
selling falls and finds. Competition (friendly?) to get there first is their
business.

The lesson to learn here is to get to the scene as fast as you can without
delay...even if the report might be bogus. Even if it has the slightest
legiticamy...go, right away and very fast because those planes circling up
above might have meteorite recovery teams (ie:vultures) on board. No offense
to Mike and Adam...just a term to accent my point. (Congrats Mike on your
trip)

Also, another lesson learned by me from PF...don't announce it to the LIST if
it is in your area and you might want to be one of the first to arrive for
recovery. If you do that...well then chaos and high pricing will certainly
abound. Keep a low profile, no chatter to the list, and go collecting/buying
on your own.

As for high pricing of US falls...well I believe that will be the norm for
now on...I stated that very thing in a thread after PF too.

Thoughts from a list observer,

John
PS Still waiting for a decent PA fall that doesn't end up in the abyss of the
wet forests/mountains-hills that cover this state.