[meteorite-list] Brahin stability

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:18 2004

Tom,

I sprayed my Brahin with VCI then dried & coated it in lacquer its been
fine over a year later. With Brahin it seems to depend on where abouts
in the original mass your piece is from, some pieces are completely
stable without protection others rust even with!=20

 I would say that if you have a piece that still rusts after a few weeks
even when treated, then you have nothing to loose by experimenting!

Lacquers still let a small amount of air and water in, so good
pretreatment with NaOH and drying in alcohol followed VCI and OVEN and
then good Lacquer, also storage in a dessicated display box, is about
all you can do, failing that start saving for a new piece!

Btw - avoid touching the bare surface with your fingers that seems to be
where the rust first starts.

Mark F.