[meteorite-list] Re: Meteorite Article in "Astronomy"

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:51 2004

Dear Listees:

When replying to a question about the article in this month's
"Astronomy" magazine, our own Steve Arnold IMB was too modest to
mention that not only are his meteorite-hunting exploits featured in
said piece, but that it also includes a small but rockin' photo of
him in full Park Forest-hunting mode, alongside photos of Bob Haag
with diminutive spaceship, and Terry and Susan Boswell.

There is also mention -- in the very first paragraph, no less -- of
the stupendous crusted, oriented Park Forest stone that Steve found
on a patch of white gravel, only moments before I arrived at the
site, and which later sold for a tidy and well-deserved sum on eBay.
No hard feelings, of course, Steve : ) A photo of that same stone
is included on the new "World of Meteorites from A to Z" poster.

The article, "The Lure of Meteorites," by Raymond Shubinski is an
enjoyable, comprehensive, and well-written piece on collecting -- one
of the best I've seen on the topic, actually.

List member Eric Twelker's website is mentioned, along with choice
Nininger quotes and some sound advice about buying (or not)
meteorites from eBay. Richard Norton's "Rocks from Space" and "The
Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites" are sensibly recommended for
further reading.

Check it out at your local newsstand: "Astronomy," December 2003
issue, pages 84 - 87. Price: $4.95.

A fun challenge: see how many of the eleven meteorites you can
identify by sight in the group photo on pg. 85. (I got nine -- and no
cheating now; one of them is real tricky).

Regards,

Geoff N.