[meteorite-list] Ownership Claimed for Asteroid 433 Eros

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:45 2004

How in the world (or off it) would someone 'claim' an asteroid? I think if
you wanted to use something like the Homesteading Act to assert ownership,
you have to build a structure on the property in question (or 'improve' the
property somehow) and live there for at least one year. That clause has
struck down more spurious claims to Lunar terrain than any other. If Nemetz
would do that, I'd say he deserves to own the asteroid; otherwise, just
blowing smoke.

Tracy Latimer
Waiting for my crack at Ceres!