[meteorite-list] Korra Korrabes

From: Chauncey Walden <clwaldeniii_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:44 2004

 Hi Rafael and list,
Korra Korrabes was found by Gibeon hunters in the southern reaches of
the Gibeon strewnfield (remember, that's a very large strewnfield!).
They picked it up because it set off the metal detectors but was figured
by them to just be iron shale from a Gibeon. Eventually it was
recognized to be a stony meteorite and the largest fragment (28 kg) was
then recovered from a garden wall where it had been assigned a less than
befitting resting place. Some of the early slices to reach the market
had been sawn in heavy oil and overpolished to the point of hardly any
structure being visible. Also some of the early material released was
more highly weathered with a lot of the metal oxidized out. This may
explain your bubbles. The material I have is quite solid and I have sawn
slabs as thin as 1.5 to 2 mm for a nice display of structure for the
weight. The thin sections I have are very nice under the scope - I even
sold one to a microscope vendor who is using it to demo his petro scope.
The latest news from the area is that another find has been located
10-15 km away from the first. This one is under study now but is much
less weathered with crust and has equally nice structure and very
interesting brecciation.
        Chauncey