[meteorite-list] NP Article, 09-1952 Lake Murray Meteorite Recovered

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:44 2004

------=_NextPart_001_004E_01C3A439.C28BD160

Paper: Reno Evening Gazette =20
City: Reno, Nevada =20
Date: Thursday, September 11, 1952
Page: 2

SCIENTISTS IGNORE RARE METEORITE FOR YEARS

ARDMORE, Okla., Sept. 11. (AP) For years 70 year old Bob Dodson, an Oklah=
oma park service employee, had begged scientists to investigate a hard, b=
lack object which was sticking out of the ground in a scrub oak patch at =
Lake Murray state park.
But nobody paid any attention.
Today, guards maintain a 24 hour vigil while scientists probe the object.
Dr. Lincoln La Paz, University of New Mexico scientist, said it was a nic=
kel-iron meteorite, probably the largest meteorite recovered in this coun=
try.
"I cannot tell exactly when it fell," La Paz said, "but I can say without=
 fear of contradiction that when it screamed to earth it frightened the p=
rehistoric inhabitants out of years of growth."
The scientist heads the institute of meteorites at the university at Albu=
querque. He said his trip to the site of the meteorite yesterday was prom=
pted by a telephone call from A. Allen Grafham, director of the Tucker to=
wn museum.
A nickel-iron meteorite is composed of pure metal and comes from the hear=
d of a heavenly body. It is regarded as very valuable. The University of =
New Mexico already possesses the largest achondrite meteorite ever recove=
red - the one that fell near the Kansas-Nebraska border in February, 1948=
, startling observers in a dozen states.
Here are some vital statistics about the new find:
It weighs at least a ton, and there is another ton of oxidized material s=
cattered about the point of impact.
Because of the terrific impact and heat generated by the meteorite, the e=
arth around and underneath it is almost as hard and black as the object i=
tself.
Only a small part of the heavy mass has been uncovered. La Paz plans to s=
pent at least two more days supervising the excavation.

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_004E_01C3A439.C28BD160

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><B><FONT size=3D=
2> <P>Paper: Reno Evening Gazette </P> <P>City: Reno, Nevada </P> <P>Date=
: Thursday, September 11, 1952</P> <P>Page: 2</P></B> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>SC=
IENTISTS IGNORE RARE METEORITE FOR YEARS</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>ARDMORE, Ok=
la., Sept. 11. (AP) For years 70 year old Bob Dodson, an Oklahoma park se=
rvice employee, had begged scientists to investigate a hard, black object=
 which was sticking out of the ground in a scrub oak patch at Lake Murray=
 state park.</P> <P>But nobody paid any attention.</P> <P>Today, guards m=
aintain a 24 hour vigil while scientists probe the object.</P> <P>Dr. Lin=
coln La Paz, University of New Mexico scientist, said it was a nickel-iro=
n meteorite, probably the largest meteorite recovered in this country.</P=
> <P>"I cannot tell exactly when it fell," La Paz said, "but I can say wi=
thout fear of contradiction that when it screamed to earth it frightened =
the prehistoric inhabitants out of years of growth."</P> <P>The scientist=
 heads the institute of meteorites at the university at Albuquerque. He s=
aid his trip to the site of the meteorite yesterday was prompted by a tel=
ephone call from A. Allen Grafham, director of the Tucker town museum.</P=
> <P>A nickel-iron meteorite is composed of pure metal and comes from the=
 heard of a heavenly body. It is regarded as very valuable. The Universit=
y of New Mexico already possesses the largest achondrite meteorite ever r=
ecovered - the one that fell near the Kansas-Nebraska border in February,=
 1948, startling observers in a dozen states.</P> <P>Here are some vital =
statistics about the new find:</P> <P>It weighs at least a ton, and there=
 is another ton of oxidized material scattered about the point of impact.=
</P> <P>Because of the terrific impact and heat generated by the meteorit=
e, the earth around and underneath it is almost as hard and black as the =
object itself.</P> <P>Only a small part of the heavy mass has been uncove=
red. La Paz plans to spent at least two more days supervising the excavat=
ion.</P></FONT><BR><BR>Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on=
-line archive of meteor and meteorite articles.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_004E_01C3A439.C28BD160--