[meteorite-list] Ebay Item #2175659927

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:45 2004

--- LabNEMS <staff_at_meteorlab.com> wrote:
> List / All
>
> Due to the controversial nature of this auction our
> observations
> are being presented in an image-intensive format.
>
> To All, I think that this was a very interesting
> exercise and ultimately
> healthy
> to the community. It resulted in many thoughts on
> COA formats and
> procedures that should be seriously considered by
> all. It prompted dialog
> on oxides, shale and other interesting
> contributions. I have no doubt that
> several new threads are still to be initiated.
>
> To Bob V., I thank you for your offer of assistance
> and would
> like your input on the anomaly found in Specimen
> "B".
>
> The data on our examination of Ebay Item #2175659927
> is available at
> http://www.meteorlab.com/File2003-34/file2003-34.htm
>
> I leave it to all to form their own respective
> opinions.
>
> Best to all,
>
> Russ Kempton, NEMS

So, the question is resolved.

Irrespective of the very poor pictures posted with
this auction, my apologies to Mr. "Lunar Ray"
Arkansas, for disputing his claims.

{Think I might have to wash down some "crow" with a
bottle of Canadian Whiskey :-( Anyone care to join me
at the table? }

It is confirmed as "iron meteorite shale" rather than
a fully iron meteorite from Canyon Diablo.

It is basically oxidized meteorite iron, with lumps of
fairly unoxidized material within or bordering.

But clearly this is not just layered "iron meteorite
shale" such as is commonly found around Canyon Diablo.

Now comes my question, which could be serendipitous
with a previous post regarding the Winona-Canyon
Diablo element of my erstwhile and aborted Meteor
Crater project.

The areas of this mass which appear to show a mix of
small iron particles and a distinct difference in
color from the more standard dark oxidized meteorite
iron... is this silicate material in your estimation?

For this piece is quite unlike any other oxide that I
have seen from Meteor Crater, and could more closely
resemble the Winona Meteorite... IF, and only if
silicate material is are present in this piece. Both
Wasson and I are of the opinion that Winona is a
silicate fragment from the Canyon Diablo meteorite.

Though the pictures are much clearer than what "Lunar
Ray" posted, do any of the specimens have dark "green
streaks" from oxidized Ni?

This is one of the primary characteristics of most of
the Winona Meteorites that I observed still in the
original burial crypt preserved at the Museum of
Northern Arizona. The highly oxidized Winnona
Meteorite were found in a burial crypt in 1928 at an
ancient site 30 miles away from Meteor Crater. Some
thought that it might have come from Meteor Crater,
but detailed chemical examination of it revealed that,
even though it looked like meteorite oxide, it was
distinctly different from the normal Canyon Diablo
"iron meteorite shale."

This fact aside, casual observation of large Canyon
Diablo oxidized meteorites found at the Crater would
render them all from Canyon Diablo, and investigators
would not spend the time to examine such oxide
further.

But...

In my opinion, any large piece of Canyon Diablo oxide
should be closely examined for silicates, and this
could be one.

And if so, should it have silicates, it is much more
valuable than mere Meteor Crater oxide. It could be
an important piece scientifically, perhaps one that
resolves the Winonite-Canyon Diablo question.

Steve Schoner/AMS
http://www.geocities.com/meteorite_identification