[meteorite-list] Park Forest Chondrules

From: mafer <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:45 2004

Hi Greg, Steve and List

Most use a petrological microscope. These have built into them a polarizer
and analyzer, a Bertrand lens, a condenser with flip concentrator and
adjustable diaphragm, and a graduated, rotating stage for measuring angles
and a slot for various plates (such as 1/4 wave , quartz wedges ect). These
are the main differing parts for optical analysis from a regular microscope.
There are many brands available, but I understand that some aren't as
desirable as others because of how or what they are built with.

If all your interested in is seeing the crystal structure, you can actually
use any compound microscope (maybe like the one you have) and just add the
polarizer and analyzer which are linear polarizing filters, one goes above
the specimen, the other below and they are oriented at 90 degrees to each
other to provide maximum extinction (darkening).
 I picked up a used and incomplete Vickers off Ebay and restored it to
usefulness by adding the missing parts (not original by any means, the stage
is a zeiss and the lower polarizer is actually a camera polarizer which fit
my lens holder and the abbe condenser I'm not sure of the make off hand). I
think theres only one lens which is a Vickers, the rest are by various
manufacturers and this makes for a minor problem as each has to be focused
individually. But it works and does what its suppose to do and I was able to
do this for under $250, which I felt was a fair price since used through
dealers once can expect to pay a $1000 or more for a simple petrological
scope and on ebay they usually go for over 400. And new, they start around
5-10k and go up quickly from there.

Hope that helps
Mark