[meteorite-list] Re: Fwd: Re: Question for seller -- Item #2175659927

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:42 2004

To all,

This ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2175659927

It alarming to me, as it uses a letter from an
standing IMCA member to "authenticate" items that are
clearly, from the photos shown, NOT Canyon Diablo
meteorites. The seller even posts the authentication
letter in the auction picture pages.

This is a first as far as I can tell where a legit
IMCA member is quoted in what appears to be a false
claim by an ebay seller.

And this can create problems for the one that
"authenticated" the samples being sold in the auction.
 Clearly the letter of "authentication" by an IMCA
member sent to this person does not reflect what the
auction photos show.

And if the person buying this auction then realizes
that the samples are in fact not Canyon Diablo's then
the ebay seller will then say to them when they
complain and demand their money back: "I have the
letter of authentication from NEMS... go to them if
you have a problem, I am only going by what they say."

A bad precedent.

And this auction might very well represent a first
where a legit meteorite identification expert's letter
of authentication is used in this manner.

Russ Kempton must examine this, since his company name
is being used in this auction.

Regards,
Steve Schoner IMCA #4470
http://www.geocities.com/meteorite_identification