[meteorite-list] Pitino, Jeff Grossman

From: Michael Farmer <farmerm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:41 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C31D2B.69A7A6E0

Hello all, just a note about the new Pitino meteorite, and a request for =
data from Dr. Jeff Grossman.=20
This meteorite was found by meteorite hunters searching for Campo del =
Cielo. Hans acquired it and thought that it was another Campo silicate =
nodule. He sent a fragment to Russia to be looked at.=20
Later he brought it to the Denver show last September. He showed me and =
I knew it was a new meteorite, he was happy, I was happy, and I bought =
it and showed everyone at Denver. Since Serge in Moscow was already =
having it analyzed, I gave him a slice off of it for the museum there, =
and Vernadsky completed the analysis and submitted the data to the =
Meteoritical Society. I never saw the data they submitted until the =
bulletin was published last week. It seems that there is simply a table =
form, not a full story like many meteorites. In that table, I am listed =
as the finder. I never noticed that, just thinking that I was listed as =
the owner, which I am.=20
I need Dr Grossman to clear this up, and let us know what was submitted =
to the Society. If I am listed in the submission as the finder, then =
that is incorrect, if not, then they simply made a mistake in publishing =
the bulletin.=20
Either way, it can be corrected very simply.=20
I have never been to Campo del Cielo, and likely never will go there. =
Like I said last week, I have never found my own new meteorite yet, I =
have found hundreds of pieces of meteorites, all from known =
strewnfields.=20
Ill list below my finds.=20
Canyon Diablo
Gold Basin
Holbrook
Odessa
Portales Valley
Ourique
Monturaqui
Imilac
Park Forest
I think that is all, I might have left something out.
Anyway, this is a simple matter.=20
Thansk=20
Mike Farmer
PS, Pitino is being cut right now by Marlin Cilz and I will have it for =
sale in a couple weeks when it is finished.=20

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C31D2B.69A7A6E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello all, just a note about the new =
Pitino=20
meteorite, and a request for data from Dr. Jeff Grossman. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This meteorite was found by meteorite =
hunters=20
searching for Campo del Cielo. Hans acquired it and thought that it was =
another=20
Campo silicate nodule. He sent a fragment to Russia to be looked at.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Later he brought it to the Denver show =
last=20
September. He showed me and I knew it was a new meteorite, he was happy, =
I was=20
happy, and I bought it and showed everyone at Denver. Since Serge in =
Moscow was=20
already having it analyzed, I gave him a slice off of it for the museum =
there,=20
and Vernadsky completed the analysis and submitted the data to the =
Meteoritical=20
Society. I never saw the data they submitted until the bulletin was =
published=20
last week. It seems that there is simply a table form, not a full story =
like=20
many meteorites. In that table, I am listed as the finder. I never =
noticed that,=20
just thinking that I was listed as the owner, which I am. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I need Dr Grossman to clear this up, =
and let us=20
know what was submitted to the Society. If I am listed in the submission =
as the=20
finder, then that is incorrect, if not, then they simply made a mistake =
in=20
publishing the bulletin. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Either way, it can be corrected very =
simply.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have never been to Campo del Cielo, =
and likely=20
never will go there. Like I said last week, I have never found my own =
new=20
meteorite yet, I have found hundreds of pieces of meteorites, all from =
known=20
strewnfields. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ill list below my finds. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Canyon Diablo</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Gold Basin</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Holbrook</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Odessa</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Portales Valley</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ourique</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Monturaqui</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Imilac</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Park Forest</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I think that is all, I might have left =
something=20
out.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anyway, this is a simple matter. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thansk </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Farmer</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>PS, Pitino is being cut right now by =
Marlin Cilz=20
and I will have it for sale in a couple weeks when it is finished.=20
</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C31D2B.69A7A6E0--