[meteorite-list] Eclipse???-Atmospheric Scattering

From: E.L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:41 2004

In addition to the myriad of light sources both manmade and natural
(e.g. zodiac light) the red tint of the moon comes from filtered
sunlight via transit through our atmosphere.

Be it remembered that the atmosphere scatters and bends light
waves-prismatically. This accounts for why there is "twilight" after
sunset. It also accounts for a red moon at moonrise and during a lunar
eclipse.

Because longer wave lengths have greater resistance to scattering, the
red end of the spectrum tends to "bend" while the blue end tends to bend
so much as to be "scattered". The result is that the moon gets
illuminated even during total eclipse. It is bathed in all wave lengths
but the predominate color is red. The light is reflected back to earth
just like it does under the illumination of the full moon.( In fact the
visible light makes the trip several times until it is lost or converted
to infrared wave lengths)

Moonless under heavy clouds in Eastern Pennsylvania,
Elton