[meteorite-list] Re: Park Forest Meteorites

From: Steve Witt <stelor96_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:39 2004

Greetings List,

I'd like to take a few moments and introduce all of you to an
incredible gentlman that I met in Park Forest. He has tried to sign
up to the List, but has not been able to for whatever reason. (Any
ideas Art)? Before this fall he knew nothing of meteorites, but has
still put together an enviable colletion of finds. He is the
PostMaster of Steger, Il and also the pilot of a hot air ballon that
is shaped and looks like Felix the Cat. His first PF find was a nice
specimen that he stepped on and twisted his ankle causing a very
painful injury. He has since found numerous specimens that are, to
say the least phenomonal. These include several oriented individuals,
including one that is a perfect nosecone with frothy, bubbly fusion
crust on the sides. Several beautiful pieces with incredible primary
and secondary fusion crust etc. etc. I'd be proud to have any of them
in my collection and several are indeed Museum Quality.

I had to the honor to meet and have breakfast with Mark and my good
friend Al Mitterling on May 7th. Al and I were both WOWED by what
Mark has accomplished, and again he knew nothing about meteorites
before March 26th, 2003. We have since talked by phone and
corresponded by e-mail and he continues to find more and more great
specimens of Park Forest. I am including two links to pictures of our
breakfast get together as well as an e-mail that Mark sent to me
today. It is my opinion that Mark is someone that we all want to
know. A meteorite hunter extraordinaire (rookie that he is).

Links to photos of our get together:

http://www.geocities.com/stelor96/ParkForest.html

http://www.geocities.com/stelor96/ParkForestContinued.html

Mark's e-mail to me today.

--- M A Cramer <mark_at_mepage.com> wrote:
> Enjoyed my visit with Al (Mitterling) and you last week over
> coffee. I
> apprecaited the time you both spent with me on each of my finds.
> The
> meteorites that Al brought along was a great first lesson on the
> diversity
> of meteorites. As someone who knew almost nothing when I began
> looking and
> collecting, this "meeting over coffee" has validated my efforts and
> continues to drive me. I promised you the url where you could find
> more
> images of each meteorite I brought along that day.
>
> The url is: http://www.mepage.com/meteorite_album.htm and feel free
> to share
> with the meteorite community. Look forward to hunting together next
> time we
> meet.
>

> M A Cramer
> P O Box 1