[meteorite-list] Falls ON or trough ice...

From: (wrong string) ørn Sørheim <bsoerhei_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:38 2004

Pekka & List,
I did a fairly extensive search of falls on ice (-covered lakes/sea/rivers)
some few years ago in the Catalogue.
Using both the computer search option, plus manually going through
most northern countries.
I came up with 9 falls *on* ice covered lakes/sea/rivers. Just one through ice,
-Bjurbøle, plus one likely (Skåne-Tranås, Sweden).

Here is the data I found:
Canada
Great Bear Lake H6 1936
Holman Island LL 1951
Tagish Lake CI2 2000

Norway
Ski L6 1848
Grefsheim L5 1976

Sweden
Hassle H5 1869
Skåne-Tranås ? 1922
Långhalsen L6 1947

Finland
Luotolax HOW 1813
Bjurbøle L/LL4 1899

Kazakstan
Zaizan H5 1963

So Shirokovsky would make an interesting addition to the list
if it's for real. How much of the other fall information
surrounding that fall is true, by the way?
There is also the Atwater, MN, USA 17/1 1999 case. Personally
I believe that can be a meteorite, and I have written quite much
about it previously, you may have noticed...

Getting more information on falls through ice may make it much
easier to distinguish ice-impacts features from just
melting holes or other ice-phenomena. There seems to be many
such misinterpretated cases, but without good knowledge, the
misinterpretation may go in both directions, I'm afraid...

Also looking at the list above, both the US and Russia is missing,
quitet strange, I think, especially Russia. Maybe Russia is just
*very* flat, and Siberia to cold to venture outside in winter :-)?

I don't assert that the list is complete, some case(s) might have
slipped through my fingers, maybe. Any suggestions?

Why are you so certain that the last hole in northern Finland was not
a meteorite, you know that the top layers of bedrock are bent backwards
in large meteorite craters, e.g. Meteor Crater.

Regards,
Bjørn Sørheim