[meteorite-list] Barringer Meteor $$$$

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:37 2004

Undoubtedly, many large meteorites were sent to old
Canyon Diablo for shipping to the east.

They were probably stored at the train station for
specimens waiting for shipment. After all, it would
have been very impractical to ship a 300 or more pound
meteorite by stagecoach when a train station was
nearby. Quite a few large specimens were found around
the crater and many of these are in major museums back
East. They probably were shipped via Canyon Diablo
train station. It would be an interesting project for
someone history inclined to confirm this by finding
the Santa Fe shipping records for the station at
Canyon Diablo. Railroads were very careful about
ledgers, and it is possible that Santa Fe has these
buried in their records.

But I still think that finding such shale there at old
Canyon Diablo would not indicate that trainloads of
iron were shipped to El Paso for smelting.

Meteorite iron is extremely difficult to smelt into
usable iron. Blades have been made from it using a
Damascus technique, but it is very hard to do. And
recently Bob Haag tried it with his memorable,
"Meteorite Medallions" I think he spent over $100,000
in the venture and the result was very un-profitable
for him. If I recall he mentioned that 2 out of every
three fractured on cooling.

Smelting meteorite iron can be done, but it takes more
than just mere application of extreme heat. There
must also be a separation step to remove Ni and other
elements to get a usable iron.

Undoubtedly, the ancients figured it out, but when in
the dawn of the iron age when they figured out how to
extract iron from terrestrial ores, they left the
difficult to smelt iron meteorite alone.

Steve Schoner
http://www.geocities.com/meteorite_identification.

HREF="mailto:steve_schoner_at_yahoo.com">steve_schoner@yahoo.com</A>

HREF="mailto:knudson911_at_frontiernet.net">knudson911@frontiernet.net</A>,

HREF="mailto:StarHarvest_at_aol.com">StarHarvest@aol.com</A>,
> [...]
> normal
> Canyon Diablo irons at all. Finding a distribution
> field for this iron would be helpful in resolving
> the
> question one way or the other. I spoke with
> Nininger
> about this possibility and he thought that further
> research needed to be done on the Type III's. I had
> slice of one of these "Type III" irons which I years
> ago sold to Dr. Wasson at UCLA.
>
> (Best not mention Dr. Nininger's name there at
> Meteor
> Crater... for they consider him a thief, or a
> "poacher." They give him no regard at all when it
> comes to the significant work that he did there for
> the years that he lived in that now dilapidated
> museum
> located on the road leading in to the Crater
> property)
>
> And I was also interested in determining if there
> was a tie between the Winona Meteorite and the
> impactor that created the crater. In fact, over 25
> years earlier, I had found a very large piece of
> oxide
> that was significantly different from other pieces
> of
> oxide that I had seen. I was very impressed with
> the
> green streaks over its surface and its odd dark tan
> matrix. I left a 15 to 20 lb chunk of it where I
> had
> found it, not interested in mere oxide.
>
> When I saw the ten pounds of Winona currently
> preserved in the original burial cyst at the Museum
> of
> Northern Arizona... I was transfixed by its
> appearance... IT WAS EXACTLY LIKE THE MATERIAL THAT
> HAD FOUND OVER 25 YEARS PREVIOUS NEAR METEOR CRATER!
>
> And I even said so to Dr. Wasson who was with me at
> the time. I was very excited about this possibility
> and we discussed it at the time.
>
> I am convinced that Winona is related to Meteor
> Crater, and one of the aims of my research was to
> find
> pieces of it, a material that is so un-remarkable
> that
> it is most likely discarded as oxide. Except for
> the
> green Ni stains it is even less impressive than
> normal
> meteor crater oxide.
>
> In a nutshell these were the broad aims of my
> research
> project, and I met the conditions set by Meteor
> Crater
> Enterprises, aka Bar-T-Bar Ranch.
>
> "Holsinger did it already" they say...
>
> Then where are the meteorites he recovered?
>
> Probably wound up with those smelted in El Paso, and
> the "data", crude as it is, put on a slipshod map.
>
> And this is my opinion on the matter... As far as
> further Meteor Crater meteorite research will be
> allowed to go. I am too old to do my project now,
> and
> my health is now too fragile to endure the task

=== message truncated ===