[meteorite-list] Main Mass Status

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:34 2004

------=_NextPart_000_00EC_01C310D5.D1216110

 Main Mass StatusHello Michael, Steve and List,

Michael wrote:

I concur that the largest intact stone (or iron) AT THE TIME OF=20
THE FALL is the main mass. However, if it gets cut up, you now have =
pieces=20
of the main mass - and the largest is "the largest remaining piece of =
the
main mass." The next largest stone (or iron) of the fall becomes the=20
largest mass now intact, but will never be "the main mass." The largest
specimen AT THE TIME OF THE FALL is and always will be "the main mass."

I agree with that statement. While the main mass could be termed to =
meant the meteorite before it broke up and landed, "main mass" we must =
understand is a term used to define the largest piece. It seems to me, =
and Nininger use to seem to think this way, that is if all the pieces =
fit together and if it was larger, together then any other piece that =
the "puzzle" as I and many other call them, would be the main mass.

Michael went on to write:

You can't go reassigning the statuses of specimens based on the=20
main mass being broken or sliced up. (note, if the largest stone of a
fall breaks on impact and a whole stone exists that is larger than any
of the surviving pieces, the intact stone is the main mass - if the =
largest
piece is larger than any other whole stone, IT is the main mass.=20
Remember, it is not a meteorite until it comes to rest on terra firma - =
and=20
let's not get into landing on boats and the like!)=20

As referenced in the statement above, I think the puzzle together would =
be the main mass over the largest known fragment. (The meteorite did =
touch the ground before it broke, asit was the ground that broke =
it.likely.) There are other meteorites, outside of Park Forest were this =
would play into as well.

Take the Gold Basin. The largest fragment is about 1600 grams if I =
remember right. However, in Tucson (two years ago) a gold prospector =
was trying to sell a 3000+ gram puzzle. I would consider this "puzzle" =
the main mass and not the 1600g single fragment. =20

I think what this more shows us is that we need (or could use) better =
wording:
  1.. A name for the mass of the stone before it broke up or landed on =
earth.=20
  2.. A name for the largest (known) recovered single stone=20
  3.. A name for a "puzzle" that together would be larger then the =
largest known recovered single stone.
For food for thought here is link to some Gold Basin puzzles I have in =
my collection..
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/goldbasinpuzzle.html

My 3 cents (Friday should count as overtime)

Mark Bostick
www.MeteoriteArticles.com

------=_NextPart_000_00EC_01C310D5.D1216110

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>=A0Main Mass Status</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; =
BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; =
BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; TEXT-DECORATION: =
none; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none"=20
leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 acc_role=3D"text" CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area"><?xml:namespace prefix=3D"v" =
/><?xml:namespace prefix=3D"o" />
<DIV>Hello Michael, Steve and List,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Michael wrote:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I concur that the largest intact stone (or iron) AT THE TIME OF =
<BR>THE=20
FALL is the main mass. However, if it gets cut up, you now have pieces =
<BR>of=20
the main mass - and the largest is "the largest remaining piece of =
the<BR>main=20
mass." The next largest stone (or iron) of the fall becomes the =
<BR>largest mass=20
now intact, but will never be "the main mass." The largest<BR>specimen =
AT THE=20
TIME OF THE FALL is and always will be "the main mass."<BR></DIV>
<DIV>I agree with that statement.&nbsp; While the main mass could be =
termed to=20
meant the meteorite before it broke up and landed, "main mass" we must=20
understand is a term used to define the largest piece.&nbsp; It seems to =
me, and=20
Nininger use to seem to think this way, that is if all the pieces fit =
together=20
and if it was larger, together then any other piece that the "puzzle" as =
I and=20
many other call them, would be the main mass.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Michael went on to write:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>You can't go reassigning the statuses of specimens based on the =
<BR>main=20
mass being broken or sliced up. (note, if the largest stone of a<BR>fall =
breaks=20
on impact and a whole stone exists that is larger than any<BR>of the =
surviving=20
pieces, the intact stone is the main mass - if the largest<BR>piece is =
larger=20
than any other whole stone, IT is the main mass. <BR>Remember, it is not =
a=20
meteorite until it comes to rest on terra firma - and <BR>let's not get =
into=20
landing on boats and the like!) <BR></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>As referenced in the statement above, I think the puzzle together =
would be=20
the main mass over the largest known fragment. (The meteorite did touch =
the=20
ground before it broke, asit was the ground that broke it=85likely.) =
There are=20
other meteorites, outside of Park Forest were this would play into as=20
well.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Take the Gold Basin.&nbsp; The largest fragment is about 1600 grams =
if I=20
remember right.&nbsp; However, in Tucson (two years ago) a gold =
prospector was=20
trying to sell a 3000+ gram puzzle. I would consider this "puzzle" the =
main mass=20
and not the 1600g single fragment.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I think what this more shows us is that we need (or could use) =
better=20
wording:</DIV>
<OL>
  <LI>A&nbsp;name for the mass of the stone before it broke up or landed =
on=20
  earth.=20
  <LI>A name for&nbsp;the largest (known) recovered single stone=20
  <LI>A&nbsp;name&nbsp;for a "puzzle" that together would be larger then =
the=20
  largest known recovered single stone.</LI></OL>
<DIV>For food for thought here is&nbsp;link to some Gold Basin puzzles I =
have in=20
my collection..</DIV>
<DIV><A=20
href=3D"http://www.meteoritearticles.com/goldbasinpuzzle.html">http://www=
.meteoritearticles.com/goldbasinpuzzle.html</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My 3 cents (Friday should count as overtime)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Mark Bostick</DIV>
<DIV><A=20
href=3D"http://www.MeteoriteArticles.com">www.MeteoriteArticles.com</A></=