[meteorite-list] Main Mass

From: LJnewpers_at_aol.com <LJnewpers_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:34 2004

>From a geologist's standpoint, main mass would define a single mass from
which all subsequent smaller pieces were spalled or broken. It is my opinion
that in the case of large showers of stones or irons, it is not possible to
define a post-breakup main mass, since we cannot usually find that "this
stone came from that hunk, and this smaller stone came from the first one,
etc. I view it as a useless term in the case of Holbrook, Pultusk, Thuathe,
Park Forest, Sikhote-Alin, for example. Instead, it can only be said "This is
the largest recovered piece of the meteor, and this is the next largest
------ad nauseum".

My $.02 worth, and the definition I will stand by.

Larry Johnson