[meteorite-list] Park Forest Main Mass Status

From: MeteorHntr_at_aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:34 2004

--part1_d3.1c4e5258.2be3d36b_boundary

adamhupe_at_attbi.com writes:

> This means that the Garza stone is currently the Park Forest Main Mass.

Hello Guys,

Seeing the term "main mass" used by Nininger (and others) historically, I
always thought the "main mass" was the largest remaining intact portion. So
if you has a 1,000g single stone from a fall, and you cut 3/4 of it into
slices leaving one 250g end piece, that end piece would be the "main mass" no
matter how small it might be.

With the Garza's Stone broken (upon impact or otherwise), and the Jones'
Stone being the largest intact specimen now, I would logically say the Jones'
is the "main mass" now. And if the Jones' stone ever gets cut, leaving the
larger portion of the Garza's stone to then be larger than the biggest intact
Garza specimen, it would become the new "main mass."

Is there an official terminology out there?

Steve Arnold

--part1_d3.1c4e5258.2be3d36b_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2>In a message dated 5/1/03=
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=3DCITE style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-=
LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">This means that the Garza s=
tone is currently the Park Forest Main Mass.
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR>Hello Guys,
<BR>
<BR>Seeing the term "main mass" used by Nininger (and others) historically,=20=
I always thought the "main mass" was the largest remaining intact portion. &=
nbsp;So if you has a 1,000g single stone from a fall, and you cut 3/4 of it=20=
into slices leaving one 250g end piece, that end piece would be the "main ma=
ss" no matter how small it might be.
<BR>
<BR>With the Garza's Stone broken (upon impact or otherwise), and the Jones'=
 Stone being the largest intact specimen now, I would logically say the Jone=
s' is the "main mass" now. And if the Jones' stone ever gets cut, leaving th=
e larger portion of the Garza's stone to then be larger than the biggest int=
act Garza specimen, it would become the new "main mass."
<BR>
<BR>Is there an official terminology out there?
<BR>
<BR>Steve Arnold
<BR>
<BR>