[meteorite-list] Meteorite "fall" Vs. "Shower"

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:55 2004

--MS_Mac_OE_3131957428_2886411_MIME_Part

Hi Ron,
       The answer to your question, "is there any way to educate these
people?" is "no."
       Anyone who has ever been involved in a newspaper reported
event knows they NEVER get it "right." For them to "become
educated" requires an incident or series of incidences that goes
on for weeks and weeks. The more "competition" (TV, Radio, newspapers
magazines, etc) there AND the longer the "air time" (in terms of
days, weeks and months) the more they SLOWLY become somewhat
more sophisticated.
       BTW, just as a matter of interest: when you have a fall such as
this with dozens and dozens of stones, it IS a SORT of "shower." Just
not in keeping with the common usage of terms regarding falls.
       Best wishes, Michael