[meteorite-list] Re: Park Forest meteorite debacle

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:53 2004

It was a dark day for meteorite recovery in Park
Forest
today.

I hope this doesn't develope into a polarizing issue
that drives a wedge between the collector and research
communities. Especially when it's all about a strewn
field that can supply more than enough meteoritic
material, for everyone.

Let's not let the actions of just one or two
"professional collectors" ruin the close working
relationship between researchers and the amateur
collectors/dealers, an alliance that both have worked
long and hard to develope and bring closer together.

It is my opinion that neither the research community,
nor the owners that found meteorites on their property
had their best interests served today.

Again, I blame the media - for giving voice to a
self-serving, vocal minority that attempted to SPEAK
FOR the research community, but succeeded in
misinforming the general public.

They both deserved better.

We all did.

With best regards,
Bob V.

[meteorite-list] Park Forest meteorite debacle
Michael Farmer farmerm_at_concentric.net
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:20:35 -0700

Hello everyone, a little news from the strewnfield.
The news is not good....