[meteorite-list] density????

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:51 2004

Dear Tom;
Mark is very correct. If you look up in a minerals book (my favorite is
the Audubon Society Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals), you can look up
the specific density of different minerals. This is expressed in
relation to water, quartz is 2.5 times heavier than water, most
gemstones, 3 times, Gold...19 to 21 times heavier than an equal volume
of water.
 Rocks, as are meteorites are made up of different combinations of
minerals. With that in mind, it is sort of like trying to standardize
the weight of chicken soup..each batch will vary in its density
depending on the specific ingredients. More carrots and less water,
more chicken, less noodles all will vary the weight. An iron or
iron/nickel rich meteorite will be much more dense than a carbonaceous
chondrite. Breccia's would vary a great deal as well, I would think.
 The difference in one end of a specific portales would vary greatly
from the end of a different portales, depending on silica and iron mixes.
Time for dinner,
Dave Freeman
(who is having chicken soup!)