[meteorite-list] Iron cutting problems :))

From: Jamie Stephens <J.Stephens_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:50 2004

Marcin,

Just a few weeks ago, I posted a short summary message on this
subject. It should be in archive on March 1.

The best answer is to use a big metal-cutting band saw. That's
probably the only good way to cut big irons. I have cut Campos
on a lapidary saw, but it takes a very long time and the blade
suffers. I use a homemade gravity feed system. I haven't cut
enough to gauge blade wear.

I've heard that A Meteorite magazine article by Allen Langheinrich
discusses the details, but I haven't seen the article. I think
it might have been in the August 97 issue (which is sold out).

The classic advice is to leave it to the pros. Some would
probably be happy to give you an estimate of the cost.

--Jamie Stephens, IMCA 2828