[meteorite-list] RE: Tatahouine Pronunciation

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:44 2004

I see that there are a number of different takes on the
possible pronunciations. The vowel sounds are the most
uncertain. In my opinion, the only possibilities for the
two "TA"s are:

ta: rhymes with bat, cat, that
tah: rhymes with la, ma, pa
tuh: rhymes with duh, the

The choice of the pronunciation for the second TA is going
to be more difficult because it is not accented and difficult
to hear.

Bernd wrote:

> As for the "hou" syllable, see Anne's double "OO".
> A comparable sound would be the double-O in "loot"
> or in "hoot", or "soot", etc.

Hoot and loot rhyme, but soot (which rhymes with foot)
does not. I'm not clear on whether Tatahouine has three
syllables or four -- four seems awkward. Is it something
like:

tah-tuh-hween?

As for syllable emphasis, it seems to be similar to Halloween.

--Rob