[meteorite-list] Meteorites Expeditions

From: rochette <rochette_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:43 2004

...... But
>I have just one question: How do u use the meteorite cane?...
>
>I have a big magnet from a floppy disk, small in size, but man its powerful.
>Do I use it to sweep the area with it? or just when a rock looks
>different?...I have that big magnet attached to a cane, plus smaller magnets
>for checking rocks. How does a meteorite cane works the best?

Ola Rafael

This is more less a repost from about one year ago: use of strong magnet
cause irreversible damage to the magnetic memory of a meteorite and
therefore decreases its scientific interest. Besides if you collect only
rocks sticking to your "cane" you will get slags but leave on the ground
almost all rarities: rumurutites, angrites, eucrites,diogenite, howardite,
martian, lunars, even some LL and CV. If you try to increase magnet power
to compensate, you may collect terrestrial basalts. So what's the use of
it, unless you know you are in a L or H strewfield???

Pierre