[meteorite-list] Chinge/Chinga & TKW

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:43 2004

Lars Pedersen inquired:

> I have in different books and websites read both the name
> Chinge and the name Chinga for the Russian meteorite.
> What is the official? I have also read about TKW of 80 kg
> and well over 350 kg. Does anyone have some official
> numbers?

Hello Lars and List,

According to the British Catalogue of Meteorites, its official
name is Chinga, but there are several synonyms: Chinge, Tannuola,
Tannu-Ola, Tchinge, Tschinga, Tschinge, Tuva, Urgailyk-Chinge.

R.A. Gallant uses the "Chinge" version in his
articles in Joel Schiff's METEORITE magazine:

GALLANT R.A. (1997) Chinge - Murder, Greed, Dumplings,
& Meteorites (M! February 1997, Pallasite Press 1997, Part I).

GALLANT R.A. (1997) Chinge - Murder, Greed, Dumplings,
& Meteorites (M! May 1997, Pallasite Press 1997, Part II).

The 80 kg you mention are from BUCHWALD V.F. (1975) Handbook
of Iron Meteorites, Volume 2, pp.461-464: "About 30 fragments
of individual weights from 85 g to 20.5 kg, and totaling about
80 kg, were found scattered along the Chinge stream in 1912."

But much more has been found meanwhile - especially by Ivan
Koutirev and his associates, and that's why R.A. Gallant says
in one of his articles:

"...there is equal uncertainty about an estimated total mass
of recovered objects, although it must be considerably more
than 350 kilograms ..."

Best Sunday regards,

Bernd