[meteorite-list] Henbury Crater Photos

From: chris sharp <casper_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:43 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "MARK BOSTICK" <thebigcollector_at_msn.com>
To: "Meteorite List" <meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2003 9:37 AM
Subject: [meteorite-list] Henbury Crater Photos

A customer sent me a few Henbury crater photos and I asked if I could
share them. I had never seen any modern photos of what the crater
looks like from the ground so I though others might be interested in
seeing them as well.

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colhenburycrater.html

Looks like some rough hiking area. Perhaps I should have voted
different on my meteorite pole....

Hi Mark,

Outback Australia is a rough hiking area. The best time to visit is
the Northern Hemisphere's Spring/Summer, when it is cooler, "the wet"
has been replaced by the dry (in Northern Australia) and the
bugs are at a minimum. Always take more water than you think you will
need.

Correct me if I am wrong someone, Henbury is one of only a few
meteorites that
show mechanical distortion due to the terminal event. There seems to
be a wide range of behavior (is that the word?) in this final
disintegration.

The Park Forest meteorite flared up a couple of times just before
disintegrating. This final event may be due to the intrusion of plasma
into the stone similar to Columbia's unfortunate demise.
The explosion could have flung Park Forest fragments into parabolic
trajectories well away from the known strewn field even though it
appears to have exploded low to the ground (from what I can tell from
the police car video).

Why some meteorites explode violently and others disintegrate
gracefully I find an interesting question.

regards from Australia

chris sharp