[meteorite-list] AW: Expensive?

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:43 2004

Actually, and not to brag...

I paid $2 per/gram for this piece that was in Gordon
Nelson's collection that I bought in total, for that
average price back in 1986.

$2 per/gram!

And at that time no one was absolutely certain that
this meteorite came from Mars, but Gordon, who
obtained it from Dr. Olsen at the Chicago Museum in a
trade was right when he said to me.

"This tiny little crumb, should you sell everything in
this collection, you keep this. Do not sell this piece
of Lafayette. And remember years from now that this
piece will by itself realize more than what you are
paying for the entire collection now..."

How right he was!

At the time, it was the only piece of this meteorite
in private hands, years since since Jim Schwade
obtained a piece in a trade. And another person got
another fragment.

Not where those pieces are now. I sure hope that they
were not reduced to tiny specks.

But I am keeping mine, whole just as it is, as it is
almost impossible to get any fragments of this
meteorite. And it is not a piece of transported
Nakhla as some have said, the research done on it
elimintes that possibiliy as it has a much higher
degree of martian hydrated minerals than Nakhla.
Also, there are other elements of its chemistry that
makes it separate.

$2 per/gram.

In 1986 meteorites did not have that great of a
following. But hats off to Bob Haag and his
tremendous ability to popularize it, for he did what
even Nininger could not do, and that was to turn
meteorite collecting to a very profitable and popular
hobby. In 1986 there were only a score of people that
I knew that were really interested enough to build
serious meteorite collections. And before that, from
1961 to then, I knew of no one else, other than myself
and Nininger that was into it. But I am sure that
there were, but during those days there was not too
much oportunity to reach out to each other.

The internet changed all of that.

Steve.

http://www.timewarp.de/images/lunar/CCreek-0.250g.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/meteorite_identification/LAFAYETTE.htm