[meteorite-list] Officials Warn Of Fake Meteorites Being Sold

From: Tom aka James Knudson <knudson911_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:42 2004

Hello List, I am sorry, I know some of you know this guy.
"Comeaux said that meteorites are identified by polishing down a sample and
looking for reflective nickel-iron specs. He said that magnetite rocks are
commonly mistaken for meteorites. "

I have talked to this guy once before. The above, is exactly what he does
when you show him an expected meteorite! He checks it with a magnet and if
there is a polished surface, he looks for nickel-iron specks and chondrules.
If it does not pass these three tests, he hands it back and says it is not
a meteorite, that's it! If you give this guy a weathered achondrite, lunar
or Martian meteorite he will tell you it is not a meteorite!!!! I wish some
one would show this guy some real meteorites! I think this poor lady needs a
second opinion!

Thanks, Tom
The proudest member of the IMCA 6168