[meteorite-list] Need help naming new group

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:40 2004

New groups names are not a NomCom issue, although there are people who
think it should be. Group names come into being through consensus. Many
group names have died at birth, never being adopted by anybody other that
the person who wrote the initial publication (e.g., F chondrites, CA
chondrites). Others have caught on and become widely accepted (recently,
R, CH, CK, CR chondrites). Still others remain on the fence (e.g., CB
chondrites versus bencubbinites or just bencubbin-like meteorites). It
takes time.

My personal opinion is that "olivine diogenite" is a perfectly fine
term. Although it preserves the antiquated, nondescriptive, trivial term
"diogenite," everybody in meteoritics now knows what a diogenite is, and
that it comes from the HED parent body, most likely Vesta. What we don't
need now, in this age where we actually know where meteorites come from, is
more trivial terms. I strongly doubt that any publication that proposes
calling them something else would ever catch on.

jeff