[meteorite-list] Ot ebay reporting?

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:38 2004

Hi,

    You will note that nowhere in her listing does the seller claim that she
is selling elephant ivory, only "ivory." Ivory, of course, is any mammalian
tooth that's big enough to bother with. Since these pieces are 34mm in
diameter, it could be any critter with teeth that big.

    The sale of elephant ivory is legal in the US if the ivory was imported
before the ban commenced on 01-01-1973. I recently purchased a piece of
"legal" elephant ivory on eBay, a slab 1/8" x 5/8" x 4-1/2", for $16.50. It
came with papers like a pedigree dog, xerox of the import permit (with
date), affidavits from transferring sellers, the cutter, etc., all ready for
me to wave in the face of the Feds when they bust down the door with their
no-knock warrant, searching for pachyderm teeth.

    Walrus and especially mammoth ivories, which is by definition "fossil"
ivory, are much more expensive for some reason ($40 and $100, respectively,
for a piece the size mentioned above). Whale ivory would be more expensive
if you could find it.

    My guess is that the eBay seller is pitching water buffalo ivory, which
is cheap, plentiful, not endagered as a species, and easily obtainable in
Australia.

    So, what did I buy "real" ivory for? Not for a decorative purpose nor an
embellishment. I cut a bridge saddle for a super rare high quality guitar.
(The bridge saddle is that little strip of material the six strings rest
over before they are pinned down to the bridge; it and it alone transfers
the string sound to the face of the guitar, and nothing does that job like
ivory.) I even managed to use only half of the piece of ivory, so I have
enough left over for another bridge saddle, if I ever find another guitar
good enough to deserve it.

Sterling K. Webb