[meteorite-list] Meteorite hunting in the UK...

From: STUARTATK_at_aol.com <STUARTATK_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:36 2004

--part1_75.12f620b4.2c18ad40_boundary

Hi Mark,

Well, *my* meteorite hunting - up here in the Lake District in the north of
England - consists of checking each and every dry stone wall (not just
Hadrian's) whenever I'm out walking or hiking. Always have a magnet on me, and my
digital camera so I'm ready to document any possible suspects.

As for farm fields, while it's true that many have undoubtedly been lost to
ploughing, many farmers in my area at least still make "rock piles" when
they're clearing a field, and on a couple of occasions I've asked permission to have
a ratch through them, promising to share the spoils. "Aye, go ahead lad..."
is the response 50% of the time, usually accompanied by that tell-tale
"nutter!" expression on their face...

Otherwise, UK meteorite hunting, for me, is an endless round of keeping your
eyes peeled whenever you're out, wherever you are. Every dark rock, every
heavire-than-normal rock, every even-slightly pitted rock becomes an object of
intense scrutiny and misplaced excitement. Have brought home dozens of
meteor-wrongs after walks and hikes... frustrating and disappointing, yes, but one day,
one day...!

Stu

--part1_75.12f620b4.2c18ad40_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi Mark,
<BR>
<BR>Well, *my* meteorite hunting - up here in the Lake District in the north=
 of England - consists of checking each and every dry stone wall (not just H=
adrian's) whenever I'm out walking or hiking. Always have a magnet on me, an=
d my digital camera so I'm ready to document any possible suspects.=20
<BR>
<BR>As for farm fields, while it's true that many have undoubtedly been lost=
 to ploughing, many farmers in my area at least still make "rock piles" when=
 they're clearing a field, and on a couple of occasions I've asked permissio=
n to have a ratch through them, promising to share the spoils. "Aye, go ahea=
d lad..." is the response 50% of the time, usually accompanied by that tell-=
tale "nutter!" expression on their face...
<BR>
<BR>Otherwise, UK meteorite hunting, for me, is an endless round of keeping=20=
your eyes peeled whenever you're out, wherever you are. Every dark rock, eve=
ry heavire-than-normal rock, every even-slightly pitted rock becomes an obje=
ct of intense scrutiny and misplaced excitement. Have brought home dozens of=
 meteor-wrongs after walks and hikes... frustrating and disappointing, yes,=20=
but one day, one day...!
<BR>
<BR>Stu</FONT></HTML>

--part1_75.12f620b4.2c18ad40_boundary--