[meteorite-list] Martian Meteorite on Saturday Night Live

From: FERNLEA4_at_aol.com <FERNLEA4_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:35 2004

--part1_1db.b4f3670.2c15c49e_boundary

In a message dated 09/06/03 05:31:08 GMT Daylight Time, STUARTATK_at_aol.com
writes:

> and there was an exhibit by an artist who used meteorites in her work. Or
> claimed to. What she did, apparently, was heat an iron meteorite in an oven
> until it was "red hot" (must have a HECK of an oven!) and then place it on maps
> to burn areas of them away, making crisp-edged artificial "craters" in
> cities and towns... I *think* the idea was to mimic the destruction of the said
> city or town by a meteorite in a "graphical way everyone could appreciate"...
> or she could just have been taking the ****, I'm not sure. Either way, a
> typical "work" (an A4 sized map with a 1" hole burned into it) was selling for a
> LOT of money.

Stuart,
these "meteorite maps" are the work of artist Cornelia Parker.
She used a genuine iron meteorite to burn impact craters on specific map
locations....the Millenium Dome, Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament, you get
the idea.
It's been several years since I sold her the meteorite, but I'm pretty sure
that it was a Henbury (IIIAB).

Here's a web page interview which explains her interest in meteorites in
art.....
<A HREF="http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites/T/turner/CorneliaParker.htm">http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites/T/turner/CorneliaParker.htm</A>
Click on the link "Relevance".

Cheers,
Rob Elliott
www.meteorites.uk.com
Fernlea Meteorites,
The Wynd,
Off Dickson Lane,
Milton of Balgonie,
Fife. KY7 6PY
United Kingdom
Tel: +44-(0)1592-751563
Fax: +44-(0)1592-751991
Mobile: 07909-773929
Email: fernlea4_at_aol.com

--part1_1db.b4f3670.2c15c49e_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 09/06/03 05:31:08 GMT Daylight Time=
, STUARTATK_at_aol.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">and there was an exhibit by an=20=
artist who used meteorites in her work. Or claimed to. What she did, apparen=
tly, was heat an iron meteorite in an oven until it was "red hot" (must have=
 a HECK of an oven!) and then place it on maps to burn areas of them away, m=
aking crisp-edged artificial "craters" in cities and towns... I *think* the=20=
idea was to mimic the destruction of the said city or town by a meteorite in=
 a "graphical way everyone could appreciate"... or she could just have been=20=
taking the ****, I'm not sure. Either way, a typical "work" (an A4 sized map=
 with a 1" hole burned into it) was selling for a LOT of money.</BLOCKQUOTE>=
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D3=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
Stuart,<BR>
these "meteorite maps" are the work of artist Cornelia Parker.<BR>
She used a genuine iron meteorite to burn impact craters on specific map loc=
ations....the Millenium Dome, Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament, you g=
et the idea.<BR>
It's been several years since I sold her the meteorite, but I'm pretty sure=20=
that it was a Henbury (IIIAB).<BR>
<BR>
Here's a web page interview which explains her interest in meteorites in art=
.....<BR>
<A HREF=3D"http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites/T/turner/CorneliaParke=
r.htm">http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites/T/turner/CorneliaParker.ht=
m</A><BR>
Click on the link "Relevance".<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
Rob Elliott<BR>
www.meteorites.uk.com<BR>
Fernlea Meteorites,<BR>
The Wynd,<BR>
Off Dickson Lane,<BR>
Milton of Balgonie,<BR>
Fife. KY7 6PY<BR>
United Kingdom<BR>
Tel: +44-(0)1592-751563<BR>
Fax: +44-(0)1592-751991<BR>
Mobile: 07909-773929<BR>
Email: fernlea4_at_aol.com</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1db.b4f3670.2c15c49e_boundary--