[meteorite-list] AD: PF individual (almost hit a man) for sale

From: MeteorHntr_at_aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:35 2004

--part1_1db.b3f27a6.2c13f2e9_boundary

Hello List,

I am offering the 78.8g specimen for sale.

Photo of the 78.8g specimen here: <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/78-8.jpg">http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/78-8.jpg</A>

The specimen is all light material (this is why the crust is so gorgeous)
with at least one tiny shock vein that is visible from one broken face. Even
though this was found maybe 12 hours after the fall in the grass, you will not
see a more fresh example from this strewnfield.

While it probably is worth more, I did buy this at a reasonable price, and I
would rather not cut this unless I have to. So the first person who offers me
$25/g ($1,970) gets it, or the highest offer over $19/g ($1,497) by Sunday
Afternoon gets it.

If you didn't read the story in my previous posts, here it is again:

On the night of April 26, just before midnight, Matt was heading to his home
driving on Steger Road just west of the Kings Road intersection in Steger, IL
when the night sky lit up for several seconds. Slightly amazed and mostly
confused he continued driving home. Turning on Western Street heading through 3
stoplights into Park Forest, he turned into his neighborhood making several
turns to the end of his street, where he pulled into his driveway, then
immediately backed up and pulled his car back onto the side of the street to park it
for the night. He got out of his car and started walking up his driveway to
the side door of his home.

All of a sudden he heard a noise that immediately registered in his mind as
sounding exactly like a bullet passing near his head (he told me that he has
indeed heard bullets pass near his head before). Immediately, his reaction was
to "hit the deck" thinking someone was shooting at him, so that is what he
did. But even as he was falling to the ground, a 78.8g meteorite smashed into
the driveway exactly at the spot where he was walking just two and a half
seconds before, just 8 feet behind him!

Still thinking someone was shooting at him, he crawled to his house door and
hurried in. Shaking it off, he decided just to go to bed. Early the next
day, he learned about the meteorite fall in Park Forest and when he returned home
he found the 78.8g specimen about 20 feet away in his front yard and an
impact pit in the blacktop driveway.

While the story was amazing, it got me thinking; just how many minutes delay
is there between the time a fireball burns out and the actual impact event? I
asked the guy and he guessed that it probably took him 5 minutes or so to go
from where he saw the fireball go out and when he almost got hit by the
impact. I actually retraced his route today and my stopwatch clocked 3:58, and I
paused it as I got stuck at two of the three stoplights along the way.

This also got me wondering if the fall date of March 26 is correct or should
it really be March 27th. This specimen may end up leading to the fall date
being changed. We will see.

Anyway, I was able to acquire the specimen, and I even got a plaster of paris
mold of the impact pit. Both are for sale.

Steve Arnold

--part1_1db.b3f27a6.2c13f2e9_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Hello List,<BR>
<BR>
I am offering the 78.8g specimen for sale.<BR>
<BR>
Photo of the 78.8g specimen here:&nbsp; <A HREF=3D"http://members.aol.com/me=
teorhntr/78-8.jpg">http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/78-8.jpg</A> <BR>
<BR>
The specimen is all light material (this is why the crust is so gorgeous) wi=
th at least one tiny shock vein that is visible from one broken face.&nbsp;=20=
Even though this was found maybe 12 hours after the fall in the grass, you w=
ill not see a more fresh example from this strewnfield.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
While it probably is worth more, I did buy this at a reasonable price, and I=
 would rather not cut this unless I have to.&nbsp; So the first person who o=
ffers me $25/g ($1,970) gets it, or the highest offer over $19/g ($1,497) by=
 Sunday Afternoon gets it.<BR>
<BR>
If you didn't read the story in my previous posts, here it is again:<BR>
<BR>
On the night of April 26, just before midnight, Matt was heading to his home=
 driving on Steger Road just west of the Kings Road intersection in Steger,=20=
IL when the night sky lit up for several seconds.&nbsp; Slightly amazed and=20=
mostly confused he continued driving home.&nbsp; Turning on Western Street h=
eading through 3 stoplights into Park Forest, he turned into his neighborhoo=
d making several turns to the end of his street, where he pulled into his dr=
iveway, then immediately backed up and pulled his car back onto the side of=20=
the street to park it for the night.&nbsp; He got out of his car and started=
 walking up his driveway to the side door of his home.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
All of a sudden he heard a noise that immediately registered in his mind as=20=
sounding exactly like a bullet passing near his head (he told me that he has=
 indeed heard bullets pass near his head before).&nbsp; Immediately, his rea=
ction was to "hit the deck" thinking someone was shooting at him, so that is=
 what he did.&nbsp; But even as he was falling to the ground, a 78.8g meteor=
ite smashed into the driveway exactly at the spot where he was walking just=20=
two and a half seconds before, just 8 feet behind him!<BR>
<BR>
Still thinking someone was shooting at him, he crawled to his house door and=
 hurried in.&nbsp; Shaking it off, he decided just to go to bed.&nbsp; Early=
 the next day, he learned about the meteorite fall in Park Forest and when h=
e returned home he found the 78.8g specimen about 20 feet away in his front=20=
yard and an impact pit in the blacktop driveway.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
While the story was amazing, it got me thinking; just how many minutes delay=
 is there between the time a fireball burns out and the actual impact event?=
&nbsp; I asked the guy and he guessed that it probably took him 5 minutes or=
 so to go from where he saw the fireball go out and when he almost got hit b=
y the impact.&nbsp; I actually retraced his route today and my stopwatch clo=
cked 3:58, and I paused it as I got stuck at two of the three stoplights alo=
ng the way.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
This also got me wondering if the fall date of March 26 is correct or should=
 it really be March 27th. This specimen may end up leading to the fall date=20=
being changed.&nbsp; We will see.<BR>
<BR>
Anyway, I was able to acquire the specimen, and I even got a plaster of pari=
s mold of the impact pit.&nbsp; Both are for sale. <BR>
<BR>
Steve Arnold<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>