[meteorite-list] Beer! (and meteorites)

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:10 2004

--part1_1a9.183a4745.2c5ab6e2_boundary

FERNLEA4_at_aol.com writes:

> (Is it normal for someone to travel internationally, with a jar of pickled
> jalapenos??)

  Yes it is....if it's someone who likes food with flavo(u)r, and the UK is
on the itinerary. ;-)

Actually, the Wold Cottage beer/label was just one small aspect of a bigger
story -- which started in Edinburgh, where Rob and Irene met my train and began
showing me several days of above-and-beyond the-call hospitality in their
tiny, beautiful town of Milton of Balgonie. Rob's meteorite collection is
literally breathtaking, and he has done a masterful job of insulating an entire room
with temperature/humidity control (that cold, damp Scottish climate is no
friend to Brenham), and has displayed the collection beautifully. We motored
down to Wold Cottage (on the wrong side of the road) and stayed the night there,
the proprietors have done a wonderful job of restoring the Cottage to its
former glory. The main attraction of course, was out in the field -- we wandered
out to the monument, snapped pictures, and generally daydreamed about the
meteoritic event that happened at that exact spot 200+ years ago. The next day we
headed down to Olde London Towne, where we had a lengthy tour behind the
scenes at the Natural History Museum, graciously provided by Dr's. Babs Potter,
Caroline Smith and Robert Hutchison. Monica Grady had an unfortunate dental
emergency so we were disappointed not to meet with her, but then again, Dr.
Hutchison comes into the office somewhat more rarely these days (and has achieved a
sort of rock-star status amongst meteorite aficionados) so meeting him was a
thrill. I was then dragged kicking and screaming across the Heathrow tarmac,
and reluctantly headed home -- back to the land of baseball, cold beer and
pudding with no pig blood in it. (Not to mention those trusty jalapenos)

Seriously, a hearty thank you to Rob, Irene, Derek and Katrina Gray (Wold),
and the brass at the Museum for an awesome week of meteoric fun.

       Gregory

PS: the 1799 Wold Cottage meteorite monument and a certain Yankee in King
Arthur's Court: http://members.aol.com/sharkkb8/jgwwold.jpg

--part1_1a9.183a4745.2c5ab6e2_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"> <BR>
FERNLEA4_at_aol.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">(Is it normal for someone to tr=
avel internationally, with a jar of pickled jalapenos??)</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; Yes it is....if it's someone who likes food with flavo(u)r, and the U=
K is on the itinerary.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ;-)<BR>
<BR>
Actually, the Wold Cottage beer/label was just one small aspect of a bigger=20=
story -- which started in Edinburgh, where Rob and Irene met my train and be=
gan showing me several days of above-and-beyond the-call hospitality in thei=
r tiny, beautiful town of Milton of Balgonie.&nbsp; Rob's meteorite collecti=
on is literally breathtaking, and he has done a masterful job of insulating=20=
an entire room with temperature/humidity control (that cold, damp Scottish c=
limate is no friend to Brenham), and has displayed the collection beautifull=
y.&nbsp; We motored down to Wold Cottage (on the wrong side of the road) and=
 stayed the night there, the proprietors have done a wonderful job of restor=
ing the Cottage to its former glory.&nbsp; The main attraction of course, wa=
s out in the field -- we wandered out to the monument, snapped pictures, and=
 generally daydreamed about the meteoritic event that happened at that exact=
 spot 200+ years ago.&nbsp; The next day we headed down to Olde London Towne=
, where we had a lengthy tour behind the scenes at the Natural History Museu=
m, graciously provided by Dr's. Babs Potter, Caroline Smith and Robert Hutch=
ison.&nbsp; Monica Grady had an unfortunate dental emergency so we were disa=
ppointed not to meet with her, but then again, Dr. Hutchison comes into the=20=
office somewhat more rarely these days (and has achieved a sort of rock-star=
 status amongst meteorite aficionados) so meeting him was a thrill.&nbsp; I=20=
was then dragged kicking and screaming across the Heathrow tarmac, and reluc=
tantly headed home -- back to the land of baseball, <U>cold</U> beer and pud=
ding with no pig blood in it.&nbsp; (Not to mention those trusty jalapenos)<=

<BR>
Seriously, a hearty thank you to Rob, Irene, Derek and Katrina Gray (Wold),=20=
and the brass at the Museum for an awesome week of meteoric fun.&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Gregory<BR>
<BR>
PS:&nbsp; the 1799 Wold Cottage meteorite monument and a certain Yankee in K=
ing Arthur's Court:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; http://members.aol.com/sha=
rkkb8/jgwwold.jpg</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1a9.183a4745.2c5ab6e2_boundary--