[meteorite-list] Brahin - legit?

From: tett <tett_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:10 2004

Phil,

Brahin is a beautiful pallasite and right now extremely cheap. A must buy
for all new comers.

That said, many specimens are unstable and in a year can become crusted with
rust. Not pretty and very distressing. Please ask your potential seller if
they know how stable the piece is. If it has NOT been cut for over a year
or NOT recently ground and polished and is still nice and shiny then the
piece should be stable. Even after a year, however, I have seen pieces
start to rust.

This problem is Lawrensite disease and has been discussed at length in this
forum.

So, try and get a slice that is as stable as possible and regularly inspect
the slice for rust. You can also oil it up or even give it some of the
special rust inhibiters advertised. If you start to see rust then
immediately give it a stabilizing treatment. I can email you off list on
how to do this. You can also check the archives.

Cheers and good luck,

Mike Tettenborn
Owen Sound, Ontario