[meteorite-list] eBay Anonymous

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:10 2004

--- "Matson, Robert" <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_saic.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> --- Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_cox.net> wrote:
> > Steve,
> > Did I read that correctly? You bought something
> on EBAY???
>
> Shame on you, Michael, for egging Steve on... ;-)
> But the result
> was illuminating, as Steve replies:
>
> "With regrets, yes. I got caught up in the 'Ebay
> auction hype-fever'
> and think I paid much more for this than what I
> ought to have spent.
>
> "But there was no other choice. That is the way
> Arnold
> wanted to sell it, via Ebay, and it was at that time
> the only Chassigny thin slice available, and I don't
> think that there have been any since.
>
> "I 'won' it by putting in a very high price at the
> very
> last seconds of the auction.
>
> "And the 'auction hype-fever' that I got involved in
> (my fault
> and failing) is one of the many reasons I hate
> Ebay."
>
> I think what Steve is saying (and he can correct me
> if I'm
> wrong) is that he recognizes eBay as a potential
> "substance
> abuse problem" for him, and he chooses to JUST SAY
> NO. Some
> people are addicted to cigarettes or alcohol or
> gambling;
> with a nod and a wink to a prior U.S. President,
> Steve
> "tried" eBay once or twice, he ~did~ inhale, and he
> didn't
> like what it did to him.
>
> Cheers and chuckles,
> Rob

Right Rob!

You said in that paragraph what "my" problem is, and
have been groping for words to explain!

I am one of those people that can easily get caught up
in Ebay "substance (bid) abuse" and wind up with a bad
clinical case of "buyers regrets."

I have to say no. NO matter what the enticement is--
No.

The "buy now" option that Ebay has implemented
attracts me, as I think others with my problem have
with eBay auctions. Buy Now I can live with. I know
exactly what I am getting into when I agree to a set
price, a price that I would not regret.

It is for some, like me, easy to get caught up in
"wining" that item in an auction, then regret it
later, when the mind considers the auction from a less
emotional distance.

eBay Anonymous!

I wonder if I could use that as my eBay login.

I like it.

Cheers to you!

Steve Schoner/ams

P.S.

Sorry to everyone on this list for my "I hate eBay"
thing. Just a real problem that I have as to what it
does to my psyche. No matter how much I might get
provoked into an argument over eBay, I promise not to
answer as it is a real waste of time.