[meteorite-list] Lunar capture theory

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:03 2004

Hello, Tom and the list,

at the moment it looks to me, the theory, that the asteroid belt was
formed from the material left over, when our solar system was
formed, is more recent. The former theory of the missing planet
was thought accoriding the Bodeīs law. This law stated that the
distances of the planets from the sun could be predicted by a
mathematical equation (which was eventually proven to beincorrect).
And between Mars and Jupiter should have been a planet according
this law.

So the todays astronomers belive, that the asteroid belt is simply made
up of material left over from the formation / creation of the solar
system.

At least Jupiter has catched some of itīs moons (perhaps from asteroids),
but donīt know, is this a possible opportunity with the moon of the Earth.

(Levin, Brush; The Origin of the Solar System, Reynolds; Falling Stars)

take care,

pekka