[meteorite-list] Olivine Diogenite Naming

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:03 2004

Adam and Greg,

Thank you for the response and congratulations on being part of making
meteorite history. Sorry if I seem to be trying "gum up the works". I do that
more than I should sometimes. I'll continue this discussion with one more set
of thoughts.

My personal obsession (as a novice) with earth's gabbroic rocks has me quite
interested in this material and how it relates to similar earthly and
meteorite (achondrite) materials. Harzburgite, as I understand it, is 40%
olivine or greater until we call it a Dunite, while Olivine Orthopyroxenite is
less than 40 % olivine, down to about 10 % or so. And then there is plain old
Orthopyroxenite that is 10 % or less in olivine, and covers what we call
Diogenites for meteorites.

So, as far as meteorites go, we have the upper level of "lower crust" in
Diogenites, and much deeper material in what we now call Olivine Diogneites.
My question now is, "I wonder how far down in % of olivine (ie. 10, 20, 30%)
will the description go to be classified as an Olivine Diogenite...and could
there be a need for a classification between Diogenite and Olivine
Diogenite?", if and when we find something in between the present examples
that are classified.

Regards,

Crusty John